If you study say, business, you rely on your degree to look for a job.
If you study design, you rely on your portfolio to land yourself a job.
People think that results are not important as long as you pass in uni because the degree is what you're after.
I finally figured out why I'm always so stressed about uni work. If you can't see the reason behind this, let me explain: It's because designers rely on their portfolio in job-seeking. Doing good now means that there is potential of producing a good portfolio because after all, all the projects we work on in uni is going to end up as a part of (if not all) of our portfolio.
Sure, there are times when I think: Oh nevermind if I screw up this project, after all it's just a learning process. But here's the thing, you're not given that many chances to mess up until you realize that it's all going to end up in front of your future employee or client. To put it in a more extreme way it's like one of those black record you get when you disobey the traffic rules, up till one point you would be forced to give up your license.
Hehe, but of course, now and then I still try to convince myself that it doesnt matter at all because true enough, we are all still learning and screwing up is just a part of the process. Maybe I'm really that kiasu! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Sunday, August 17
STRESS + SNACK = FAT = ME! =(
at 8:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 feathers:
This is so trye, My portfolio is not only NOT impressive, it's empty, low in quality.
Thus, I need to work harder this semester, last semester was my worst one in my history.
I volunteered for Open Day yesterday and i get to talk about my work which was a great experience but I don't have much to show unlike some other students =p
I would like to see your portfolio someday =p
Hah, my work are scattered, I need to compile them neatly but I do not know how besides the usual folder/file method! Sigh if only I can design web pages... so much for a portfolio...
hehe i wonder how bad can you're "worst" be... I saw some of ur stuff, they looked pretty good, truth to be told.
i guess there's alot of awesome and experienced people in this indusrty, its not unusual to see people with stacks of outside job, hack they even present themselves (and their work) excellently. I'm envious.
btw, i'll see u tomorrow =) if ur coming for dinner
Post a Comment